You can’t send your parents to a care home without your satisfaction. It is very important to consider few things before you chose a care home for your parents, after all, they have to spend a lot of their time in your selected care home. Here I will discuss few things which you should consider and monitor carefully before you select a home for your parents.
You should visit different care homes before you select one for your father or mother.
- Your first impression is really important. When you visit a home you should notice what did you feel while entering the home. If it is clean and has some plants and environment is good then you would feel better while if there is no proper clean work and you see dust on different things and waste materials are spread here and there then you wouldn’t feel great.
- When you enter the care home, did you feel some unpleasant smell? If yes then you should consider this as a negative point for that home. While if you feel that you have the pleasent smell of different natural flowers or good smell of an air spray, then its a plus point for the home you entered.
- You should meet with the residents of that home and should talk with them to get an idea if they are happy there or they are complaining about the staff? How is their dress, or they well groomed and wearing a neat and clean dress?
- The staff of a good care home should welcome you with happy mode and their behavior should be nice. If you notice that the staff is not open to answering your questions or you feel that they are not responding to your queries in a good manner then you should also consider this as a negative point.
- Visit the care home with the person who needs to stay there. For example, if your mother needs to stay there then you should bring your mother to that care home. She should feel comfortable with the environment and you should take her advice as well and without her advise don’t make your final decision.
There are many more things you should consider for the perfect care home, but here I have mentioned only a few points which are most important according to my experience.